Here’s one for the street food traders amongst you. Many of you who have submitted applications to us or other event organisers, will have had to slog through the process of finding and scanning in hundreds of different documents. All have been exclusively designed to make your life 20% more tedious. We sympathise, because we have all done it as well. If the sympathy-five were a thing, we’d offer it.
So here is the street food documentation we need and (for the uninitiated amongst you) what they all do.
- The Food Hygiene Rating – a green on black document with a 1-5 star rating. Displaying this will soon be a legal requirement.
- The Gas Safe Test – Avoid unwanted explosions with one of these. All gas appliances should have one if they are over a year old, and ideally your setup should be gas safety tested. Vans and trailers must have one.
- PAT test – If it has a plug and is used commercially then you need a PAT test once the appliance is more than a year old. If you’re plugging into someone else’s power then they will want to see this.
- A risk assessment – What if I am caught in a stampede? What if all my staff are terminally incompetent? These and many other questions can be answered by looking at your setup and assuming the worst. It is quite useful for spotting dangers and could, just possibly, avert a crisis.
- Public Liability Insurance – this is a legal requirement. If your business does something to injure a member of the public, you’re covered.
- Hygiene Certificates – Another legal requirement for food handlers. Washing hands = good etc.
That just about covers it. We need these documents because we are not environmental health inspectors, but still need to know that you are safe. Us knowing you and working with you is a huge part of that, but even though were mates, independent verification is really useful. Please don’t be offended that we have to ask for this stuff – it’s all standard faire you will be asked for hundreds of times during your street food journey.
We do this as soon as you apply for a few reasons:
- We know you’re safe.
- Paperwork for Scoff-led events is automatically done.
- Traders who don’t have it and are potentially unsafe are kept out of the collective.
All that being said, please remember that we are trader-run, and don’t have time to chase you for every single document. People who make this easy for us will get into the collective, onto the website and out to events much, much faster!
Good luck and happy trading!